Monday, March 21, 2011

Understanding and Emotions in the Novel

As Will, Henry and Beanpole continue their journey to the White Mountains, the boys gain new understandings and are exposed to variety of emotions. Here are a few questions to answer able chapter six in the novel.


1. How were the Tripods able to control the people?

how the Tripods were able to cap the human without any frustration, is that they confused them by saying that it was a ritual from childhood to adulthood but is actually a ghastly thing. Kids who have not been capped have started to question, but don't leave because they were afraid of the situation leaving home and going away. But only three boys felt that the tripods are terrible things, and that brings no imagination or thought in a person so they decided to go to the White Mountains and they sacrificed everything they had like food, their family and other s just to get away from being capped.

"Why should the Tripods take people way and Cap them? What rights have they?" This shows that Will refused to get capped but Eloise wants Will to be capped so they can live together. This gives two choices to Will: he can stay and be capped and live together with Eloise or run away to the White Mountains and live a free life.

2. Find evidence (quotations from the novel) to show that even though Will is comfortable living at the castle, he is frustrated that the Comte, Comtesse, and Eloise have been capped.
Page 108
"Nothing, as far as I can see." He nodded at Beanpole. "He knows more than I do."
Beanpole said, "They are not like the villagers, or townsmen. The villagers, finding us, might have called the Tripods, but these not. They think it good for boys to leave their homes. Their own sons go far away."
I suppose I was a little confused still. i said, "Then they might help us!" Beanpole shook his head, sunlight flashing from his lenses in front of his eyes.
"No. After all, they are capped. They have different customs, but they obey the Tripods. They are still slaves. They treat us kindly, but they must not know our plans."
****
i had been thinking hard. I said, "Then you'd better make a break for it, while you can."
"No. It will be weeks before you are fit to travel."
"But you two can get away. I'll follow when I am able. I remember the map well enough."
Page 109
"What do you suggest, then?" asked Henry. I could see he was not persuaded. "If we stay they'll cap us eventually."
"That is why staying is better for now." Beanpole said. "I have been talking with some boys. In a few weeks there is the tournament."
"The tournament?" I asked
"It is held twice a year," Beanpole said "in spring and summer. They have feasts, games, contests, and jousting between knights. It last five days, and at the end is their capping day."
3.Find evidence(quotes) to show how Will feels about being capped.


Page 119
She asked about my health--- Itold her I was very well--- and if I were happy at the castle. I assured her that I was. Then she said
"I am glad of that. Perhaps if you are happy, you will not want to leave us."
It had been taken for granted that three of us would be presented at the Capping Day following the tournament.
I think Will is a little scared and nervous in his head but in his heart he's saying it's for his own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment