Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lit Circle Blog Post #1 Hatchet

The discussion group helps me understand the novel because I sometimes have trouble understanding the parts in the chapters. When I ask my group they help me by explaining them.  In case I have difficulty in understanding some words, I would ask my group for the meaning or we would look them up in a dictionary and write them down in a note book or type them in our computer to help us remember the new words. Sometimes in lit circles I ask myself and my group discussion questions such as "what we think would happen next in the book" or "how does this part make you feel when the character did something heroic"for example.  My group and I come up a lot of different of answers.

Some of us had connections with the novel, but sometimes we don't. Sometimes we have similar connections. Also, some people have an interesting connection which makes the group want to know more about what happens. I sometimes enjoy finding connections because I know exactly which one would fit the event in the story. Sometimes I have trouble finding a event that I can connect to. Connections can sometimes be difficult to find if our group doesn't quite understand an event, but if we do it is a lot easier to connect because we can compare it with something that happened in our life.

There are many things my group can predict that might happen in the next chapters. For example in "Hatchet", the book I'm reading this trimester, Brian was steering the plane, but he ran out of fuel. We predict that he might find a clearing or maybe he might land in a lake. Predicting is fun to do, because there are no wrong or right answers. Some predictions have many possibilities, but some have only a few. Such as in the book "Call It Courage". Mafatu was sailing through big storms and there could have been several predictions: maybe he will survive the storm or he will die or he will end up on an island somewhere else. Predicting can be quite tricky to do, but really there are no wrong or right answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment